Sunday, November 9, 2008

Forgiveness

What is forgiveness?

What does it mean, to you?

I struggled with forgiveness for years. I defined it in the only way that I knew, from what I had been taught or what I had learned... and, I learned, in time, that forgiveness... just as ALL things do... has about as many definitions are there are people who practice... or not practice... forgiveness.

Does someone need to be forgiven?

Do we have to forgive?

Does the person/entity, whom we are contemplating forgiving, have to ask forgiveness, in order to be forgiven?

Is forgiveness conditional?

Does forgiving mean forgetting?

I read a book called The Locket, years back... that explained forgiveness in a way that I had never thought of. For myself, I had been taught that I must forgive, because it was part of my youthful Christian upbringing... yet, it was hard forgiving. Part of that was wrapped up in the idea that... because I had not forgotten... then, surely I must not have forgiven.

In time, I learned that we never forget... and I can parallel that thought with the death of a loved one... we never forget... we just find ways to go on living, re-arrange the thought processes, in order to deal with what is lain before us, in more positive and constructive ways.

I'm not going to hunt the book down, to get the quote exactly right... but, the essence of it goes like this... you don't forgive, for the other person's sake... not for their benefit... you forgive for your own sake... forgiving is letting loose the anchor that would keep your ship from sailing to new shores... or else we remain stuck in the same place. I thought it was an excellant way to learn how to forgive.

And it isn't, in my mind, about them asking for forgiveness... because, some never will.

Do all deserve forgiveness?

It doesn't matter... what matters is the forward motion of our ship... our soul... which can't happen, if we're anchored in anger and bitterness.

Sometimes ones do not know how to ask forgiveness... their reality is different from our own.

What we sometimes see as something that needs forgiveness, may be our own selfish mind, in no way connected to the reality of the situation.

Perhaps no forgiveness is necessary, after all... just forward movement.

3 comments:

brad4d said...

I have been victimized the the hate and bitterness of others, because of my care ~ I felt more (of their emotions) than I have personally accepted (as useable.) My experience has been an incredible memory because I ACCEPT so easily.
Since denial undermines our care, I believe that I forgive so I don't have to forget!

Oilsforfun said...

great vitality is yours by questioning. How fortunate that you, in deed, still question. Never cease...
For-----giving
We are enchained and we are enchained in all means...so if I forgive I give me and the other a new opportunity.
To forgive is to give away my emotions and to bring in my heart and mind. To forgive is to comprehend the other, is to see that the other is very similar to me. The more I become human the more I see what causes reaction in a human being.Once I accept and see it as a reaction I can than act as FOR GIVING
I find it difficult to express but what I most like is
THE QUESTIONS

Shimmerrings said...

Interesting comparison, brad... forgiving so as not to forget. Some people do carry hate and bitterness and love to slather it all over everyone else... so, you really do have to forgive, it seems, or be caught up in the same bitterness and hate.

Excellent reasoning, cristina homem de mello... "so if I forgive I give me and the other a new opportunity"... if only we would all see this... I like what you said, also, "to forgive is to comprehend the other"... that's called understanding...