Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Mothers' Day

i smell you in the ocean

and i see you in the sky

i feel you in my heart,

i hear you in my cry


a little girl, 

i thought that everything would last

life was candy lollipops and gumdrops in the sky

lessons came in billions then, followed with a “why?”

a stubbed toe? i thought that i would surely die


a mirror’s glance into my eyes

reveals the part of me that’s you

my heartbeat stops and tears well up

it’s a part of you i wish i knew


as i grew up

i learned to hide my soul

covered tears with bravest smile

in every breath denied the trial

saw an inch and ran the mile


not angry at you anymore

that took too long to say

seven years have passed and yet, 

i miss you every day


twenty-two

but still unsure

i’m tearing down the wall

accepting when i fall

admitting i can’t cure them all


a life without a mother

can tear your heart away

so cherish yours, forever.

and happy mother’s day.

No comments: