Wednesday, January 7, 2009

2009 B.C.


I'm a myth-whore. And the upcoming year in film has a lot to offer someone of my proclivity...


I've made the argument time and time again that should the theatre want to survive, it must locate the regional (and that's key) myths it can reinvent to tell the stories of today. Films are doing it as is evidenced from any number of contemporary examples like the extraordinary Pan's Labrynth, Children of Men, The Dark Knight, Wall-E and Sunshine; and while not regional (that would be antithetical to a film market), they exude the ancient archetypes and classic moral conflicts of Ovid and Homer.

Realism, for my money, should always be left to the cultural critics as they sift through the sad remnants of everyday life. Those of us tasked with telling stories get far more mileage out of the invited fiction our audience is willing to entertain.

The strength of all art lies in the imagination of those watching.

I can't wait to join in the fun in 2009.

Pictured Above: An image from Spike Jonze's Where the Wild Things Are, a film based on a much beloved children's book that I'm just about ready to pee my pants in anticipation for.


For more, visit Rants, Raves and Rethoughts

1 comment:

brinni for humanity said...

This was one of my favorite books growing up; I had no idea a movie was coming out, and I am also extremely excited!